Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Warm N' Tasty

I am currently having some frustrations with the comments section of blogspot (why can't I post a comment on my own blog, for heaven's sake??) but I have no doubt that the yummy, healthy, greens-filled soup I'm having for lunch will soothe my cranky spirit.

As the colder weather starts to settle in here, this will become a bit of a staple along with my other favorite soup recipes that I haven't used since last February - like black bean, cauliflower, lentil, yum yum! I love having that big, warm pot simmering on the stove.


This one can easily be a vegetarian soup; I used some spicy sausage in mine but it can be omitted.

Kale and White Bean Soup
------------------------
1 yellow onion, chopped
4 or 5 carrots, chopped
1 bunch kale or swiss chard, washed and chopped, thick stems removed
1 can diced tomato
2 cans white beans
4-6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
3 cloves garlic

optional:
3 spicy sausage links
1/2 container baby portabello mushrooms, chopped

Drizzle some olive oil in the bottom of your favorite soup pot (any large pot will do) over medium heat, once it gets nice and warm add the sausage, if using, casings removed, breaking the meat up as it begins to brown. Then add your onions and carrots and let that hang out for a bit, 5 minutes or so... Go ahead and pour yourself a glass of wine or put your feet up for a minute. Follow with garlic and mushrooms (if using) until everybody gets soft and friendly, another 3-5 minutes. Then add the beans and tomatoes. Start adding your greens, but you may have to add it in batches, let it reduce a bit and then add more. Follow with your broth, bring it to a simmer, and let it simmer (not boil) for a good 20 minutes or longer on low heat. You can add a little water if it needs more liquid.

This makes a pretty big batch of soup. You can freeze some in individual containers, then bring it to the office and torture your coworkers with the savory scent of your homemade dee-light. I like to have mine with garlic toast. Tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment