Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Leon and me


The recent MoMA exhibit, Tangled Alphabets, featured the work of Leon Ferrari and Mira Schendel, and it was a broad, extensive overview of both their life's work. But for me, it was all about several of Ferrari's elegant yet natural calligraphic works, some consising of letter-like scrawled shapes and others of actual words. Unfortunately I couldn't find a lot of this work represented online, but you can view a portion of the exhibit (now closed) on MoMA's exhibition site.
I've always loved swirly scrawly type; this type of thing is just impossible to reproduce in a font. His work inspired me to practically run home, get out the calligraphy pen and go to town (results below). Not exactly MoMA-worthy, but I think it will lead to some fun patterns and designs.


No comments:

Post a Comment