Friday, October 8, 2010

Collage, Collage




I LOVE collages - love making them, love looking at them, love collecting paper scraps for potential future collages, as evidenced by the boxes and binders in my art room stuffed with visual tidbits.

My friend Liz and I were recently awestruck with Anne Ryan's collage exhibition at the Met (which sadly has ended) - her sublimely restrained use of color and texture indicates the depths of her talent. Ryan did not start doing collages until late in her career, and was originally inspired to do so after seeing an exhibition of Dada artist Kurt Schwitters, but she clearly had a gift for it.

Just yesterday, I spotted some truly gorgeous collages by British artist Kenneth Mahood at Anthropologie's Rockefeller Center store (on the bottom floor, near the "Sale" section - my favorite area). His artwork is for sale, priced around $2400. A bit out of my range at the moment, but something to aspire to... I couldn't find the exact pieces online, but the two images below are of similar works.

If you are in the NYC area, pop in to Anthro and have a look for yourself. Happy weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment